Jatronergy

Jatropha curcas L

Jatropha curcas L



It is a perennial, monoecious plant that belongs to the Euphorbiaceae family, endemic from Mexico and Central America. It is cultivated in Central America, Africa and Asia.

The J. curcas plant is drought resistant and grows in poor, sandy and loam soils in tropical and semitropical climates, whose altitudes range from 0 to 1600 m. The latex from the leaves has been used in traditional medicine, and the plant has also been used as a living fence and as a tool in the reforestation of eroded areas.

The seeds contain various toxic components (phorbol esters, trypsin inhibitors, lectins and phytates); nevertheless, in some regions of Mexico there are reportedly edible seeds, indicating the existence of varieties with low toxicity. The seeds contain a hard Shell (testa) which represents about 37% of the total weight, and its interior features a soft white grain (kernel), which represents the remaining 63%. Dry seeds have a moisture content of about 7% and contain a range of 32 to 40% content of oil.

Uses and benefits

The seed oil can be converted to biodiesel by transesterification. The conversión of J. curcas oil to biodiesel for biodiesel purposes has been clearly demonstrated by several researchers.





Fatty acid profile of the J. curcas oil:

Fatty acid Percentage (%)
Oleico 41-44
Linoléico 42-44
Palmítico 9-11
Esteárico 2-3
Mirístico 0.3-0.4
Palmitoleico 0.3-0.4


The physicochemical properties of J. curcas oil have biodiesel characteristics that meet European international standards, besides other advantages over fossil diesel, since it reduces the emission of a variety of contaminants. Emissions of CO2 and SO2 are reduced by 80 and 100% respectively, compared with petro-diesel. In addition, it can be used directly in diesel engines or blended with fossil diesel (B20, B85, B100).

Business Offices
Calle 60 Diagonal No. 490 entre 59 y 61,
Parque Industrial Yucatán. C.P. 97300,
Mérida, Yucatán, México

     informes.agroindustria@lodemo.com.mx
     +52 (999) 942 21 00

For more information
about our process and services:
Download Brochure

Contact Us
and shortly a representative of our
team will contact you.

Somos una empresa del corporativo